Introduction: Laser application in endodontics has increased due to its safety and effectiveness in dental treatments, involving dentin hypersensitivity, removal of decayed tissues, dental preparations, pulp capping or pulpotomy, and root canal treatment. Postoperative pain after endodontic treatments is a common complication, affecting 3% to 58% of patients. Low-level laser therapy has been used in dentistry to promote analgesia, modulation of inflammation, and tissue healing. Objective: performed a concise systematic review to present the main clinical outcomes of endodontic treatment with low-intensity laser therapy. Methods: The research was carried out from April 2021 to July 2021 and developed based on Scopus, PubMed, Science Direct, Scielo, and Google Scholar, following the Systematic Review-PRISMA rules. The quality of the studies was based on the GRADE instrument and the risk of bias was analyzed according to the Cochrane instrument. Results: After the selectivity of articles and literary findings through the following descriptors, a total of 65 studies were analyzed, with only 17 medium and high-quality studies selected, according to GRADE rules, and with risks of bias that do not compromise scientific development. The authors showed that low-intensity laser therapy has the property of oral sterilization, facilitating tissue healing after surgical procedures. The effects related to anti-inflammatory and analgesic capacities with the application of low-intensity laser were also evidenced. Conclusion: Laser therapy has been shown to improve the healing of soft and hard tissues after endodontic surgery and has also shown favorable effects on pain and patients' quality of life.
- He WX, Liu NN, Wang XL, He XY. [The application of laser in endodontics]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2016 Aug;51(8):470-4. Chinese. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1002-0098.2016.08.007. PMID: 27511037.
- Mohammadi Z. Laser applications in endodontics: an update review. Int Dent J. 2009 Feb;59(1):35-46. PMID: 19323310.
- Mohammadi Z, Jafarzadeh H, Shalavi S, Kinoshita JI, Giardino L. Lasers in Apicoectomy: A Brief Review. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2017 Feb 1;18(2):170-173. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-2010. PMID: 28174373.
- Guerreiro MYR, Monteiro LPB, de Castro RF, Magno MB, Maia LC, da Silva Brandão JM. Effect of low-level laser therapy on postoperative endodontic pain: An updated systematic review. Complement Ther Med. 2021 Mar;57:102638. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2020.102638. Epub 2020 Dec 8. PMID: 33307205.
- Cronshaw, M., & Parker, S., & Anagnostaki, E., & Mylona, V., & Lynch, E., & Grootveld, M. (2020). Photobiomodulation Dose Parameters in Dentistry: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Dentistry Journal, 8(4), 114. Descritores em Ciências da Saúde: DeCS. (2020). BIREME / OPAS / OMS, 2017.
- Zayed, S. M., & Hakim AA A (2020). Clinical Efficacy of Photobiomodulation on Dental Implant Osseointegration: A Systematic Review. Saudi J Med Med Sci. 8(2), 80-86. 10.4103/sjmms.sjmms_410_19.
- Zecha, J. A., & Raber-Durlacher, J. E., & Nair, R. G., & Epstein, J. B., & Sonis, S. T., & Elad, S., & Hamblin, M. R., & Barasch, A., & Migliorati, C. A., & Milstein, D. M., & Genot, M. T., & Lansaat, L., & van der Brink, R., & Arnabat-Dominguez, J., & van der Molen, L., Jacobi, I., & van Diessen, J., & de Lange, J., & Smeele, L. E., & Schubert, M. M., & Bensadoun, R. J. (2016). Low level laser therapy/photobiomodulation in the management of side effects of chemoradiation therapy in head and neck cancer: part 1: mechanisms of action, dosimetric, and safety considerations. Supportive care in cancer: official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 24(6), 2781–2792. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3152-z.
- Zecha, J. A., & Raber-Durlacher, J. E., & Nair, R. G., & Epstein, J. B., & Elad, S., & Hamblin, M. R., & Barasch, A., & Migliorati, C. A., & Milstein, D. M., & Genot, M. T., & Lansaat, L., & van der Brink, R., & Arnabat-Dominguez, J., & van der Molen, L., & Jacobi, I., & van Diessen, J., & de Lange, J., & Smeele, L. E., & Schubert, M. M., & Bensadoun, R. J. (2016) Low-level laser therapy/photobiomodulation in the management of side effects of chemoradiation therapy in head and neck cancer: part 2: proposed applications and treatment protocols. Supportive care in cancer: official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 24(6), 2793–2805. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3153-y.
- Menezes MRA, Alves-Silva EG, Santana ECG, Mendes VC de O. Estudos clínicos randomizados dos benefícios e limitações do Irradiation Laser Intravenous of Blood (ILIB) na Odontologia: revisão integrativa. Research, Society and Development, [S. l.], v. 10, n. 2, p. e30910212576, 2021. DOI: 10.33448/rsd-v10i2.12576.
- Mikhail FF, El-Din M, Ibrahim T, Zekry K, Nemat A, Nasry S. Effect of Laser Therapy on the Osseointegration of Immediately Loaded Dental Implants in Patients under Vitamin C, Omega-3 and Calcium Therapy. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018 Aug 15;6(8):1468-1474. doi: 10.3889/oamjms.2018.291.
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews. BMJ 2021; 372 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
- H Balshem H, Grade guidelines: 3 ratng the quality of evidence. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Maryland Heights, 64 (4) (2011) 401-406.
- Higgins, S Green, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011.
- Cerdeira, C. D., & Lima Brigagão, M. R., & Carli, M. L., et al. (2016). Low-level laser therapy stimulates the oxidative burst in human neutrophils and increases their fungicidal capacity. J Biophotonics, 9(11-12), 1180-1188. 10.1002/jbio.201600035
- Pereira, A. S. et al. (2018). Metodologia da pesquisa científica. UFSM.
- Wang, Y., & Huang, Y. Y., & Wang, Y., & Lyu, P., & Hamblin, M. R. (2016). Photobiomodulation (blue and green light) encourages osteoblastic-differentiation of human adipose-derived stem cells: role of intracellular calcium and light-gated ion channels. Sci Rep. 6, 33719. 10.1038/srep33719.
- Nabi S, Amin K, Masoodi A, Farooq R, Purra AR, Ahangar FA. Effect of preoperative ibuprofen in controlling postendodontic pain with and without low-level laser therapy in single visit endodontics: A randomized clinical study. Indian J Dent Res. 2018 Jan-Feb;29(1):46-50. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.IJDR_327_15. PMID: 29442086.
- Metin R, Tatli U, Evlice B. Effects of low-level laser therapy on soft and hard tissue healing after endodontic surgery. Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Nov;33(8):1699-1706. doi: 10.1007/s10103-018-2523-8. Epub 2018 Apr 30. PMID: 29713842.
- Bordea IR, Hanna R, Chiniforush N, Grădinaru E, Câmpian RS, Sîrbu A, Amaroli A, Benedicenti S. Evaluation of the outcome of various laser therapy applications in root canal disinfection: A systematic review. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 2020 Mar;29:101611. doi: 10.1016/j.pdpdt.2019.101611. Epub 2019 Dec 3. PMID: 31809911.
- Arslan H, Köseoğlu S, Doğanay Yildiz E, Arabaci T, Savran L, Yildiz DA, Veyisoğlu G. Effect of intracanal diode laser application and low-level laser therapy on CGRP change. Braz Oral Res. 2019 Mar 18;32:e125. doi: 10.1590/1807-3107bor-2018.vol32.0125. PMID: 30892373.
- Alamoudi N, Nadhreen A, Sabbagh H, El Meligy O, Al Tuwirqi A, Elkhodary H. Clinical and Radiographic Success of Low-Level Laser Therapy Compared with Formocresol Pulpotomy Treatment in Primary Molars. Pediatr Dent. 2020 Sep 15;42(5):359-366. PMID: 33087220.