Introduction: In the context of liposculpture, cervicofacial liposuction involves the application of negative pressure through a hollow cannula in the subcutaneous plane to gently avulse fat cells and accurately sculpt unwanted fat deposits on the face and neck. Furthermore, lipo contouring provides a versatile tool in the facial surgeon's arsenal to achieve the desired facial profile. In 2020, approximately 15.5 million cosmetic procedures were performed in the United States alone. Objective: A systematic review was carried out on the main clinical results, presenting studies on the risk of bias, and the advances in facial and cervical liposculpture as an important aesthetic tool for the dental surgeon. Methods: The rules of the Systematic Review-PRISMA Platform were followed. The search was carried out from November 2021 to February 2022 in Scopus, PubMed, Science Direct, Scielo, and Google Scholar databases. Results: 64 articles were found involving liposculpture. A total of 32 articles were fully evaluated and 14 were included and developed in the present study. Considering the Cochrane tool for risk of bias, the overall assessment did not result in significant risk of bias studies. The Funnel Plot showed symmetrical behavior. Twenty-five studies did not meet the GRADE. Most patients who were involved in the studies showed improvements in facial augmentation and contouring. In patients with loss of facial volume, high-density fat transfer with the facial injection of SVF-gel resulted in significantly higher improvement scores and better patient satisfaction. Conclusion: According to the main clinical studies selected in the present study, cervicofacial liposculpture proved to be safe and effective. In patients with loss of facial volume, high-density fat transfer with a facial injection of SVF-gel resulted in significantly higher improvement scores and better patient satisfaction. Still, the results of the studies showed that the level of self-confidence and mental health-related quality of life can be significantly improved after facial lipofilling treatment.
- Saad A, Altamirano-Arcos CA, Nahas Combina L, Saad M. Power-Assisted Liposculpture in Male Patients: A Spectrum of Definitions. Aesthet Surg J. 2021 May 18;41(6):NP447-NP455. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjaa435. PMID: 33400776.
- Charles-de-Sá L, Gontijo-de-Amorim NF, Coleman S, Rigotti G. Regen Fat Code: A Standardized Protocol for Facial Volumetry and Rejuvenation. Aesthet Surg J. 2021 Oct 15;41(11):NP1394-NP1404. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjab016. PMID: 33453100.
- Egro FM, Coleman SR. Facial Fat Grafting: The Past, Present, and Future. Clin Plast Surg. 2020 Jan;47(1):1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cps.2019.08.004. Epub 2019 Oct 21. PMID: 31739886.
- Farkas JP, Pessa JE, Hubbard B, Rohrich RJ. The science and theory behind facial aging. Plast Reconstr Surg Global Open. Apr 2013;1(1).
- Habbema L. Liposculpture of the aging face and neck. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2005 Sep;4(3):198-203. doi: 10.1111/j.1473-2165.2005.00312.x. PMID: 17129267.
- Haack J, Friedman O. Facial liposculpture. Facial Plast Surg FPS. May 2006;22(2):147e153.
- Yang WC, Shih PK, Wu DW. The benefits of liposculpture in cervicofacial rejuvenation: A review of 312 consecutive patients. Asian J Surg. 2019 Nov;42(11):974-975. doi: 10.1016/j.asjsur.2019.07.012. Epub 2019 Jul 23. PMID: 31345656.
- Karcenty B, Flageul G. Lipo-aspiration et liposculpture [Liposuction and liposculpture]. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2003 Oct;48(5):399-404. French. doi: 10.1016/j.anplas.2003.08.006. PMID: 14599920.
- H Balshem H, Grade guidelines: 3 ratng the quality of evidence. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Maryland Heights, 64 (4) (2011) 401-406.
- Higgins, S Green, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011.
- Lambros V. Atrophy versus ptosis. Presented at the American Society for Aesthetic Surgery panel, New York, 1997.
- Coleman SR. Facial recontouring with lipostructure. Clin Plast Surg 1997;24:347–367.
- Ellenbogen R. Free autogenous pearl fat grafts in the face—a preliminary report of a rediscovered technique. Ann Plast Surg 1986;16:179–194.
- Ellenbogen R. Autologous fat injection. Plast Reconstr Surg 1991;88:543–544.
- Coleman SR. Structural fat grafts: the ideal filler? Clin Plast Surg 2001;28:111–119.
- Sydney R, Coleman MD, Grey KM, Henningfield JE, Kozlowski LT. Structural fat grafting. St. Louis, MO: Quality Medical Publishers, 2001.
- Lambros V. Fat contouring in the face and neck. Clin Plast Surg 1992;19:401–414.
- Lambros V. Models of facial aging and implications for treatment. Clin Plast Surg 2008;35:319–327.
- Bucky LP, Percec I. The science of autologous fat grafting: views on current and future approaches. Aesthet Surg J 2008;28:313–321.
- Rapaport DP, Bass LS, Aston SJ. Influence of steroids on postoperative swelling after facialplasty: a prospective, randomized study. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96:1547–1552.
- Owsley JQ, Weibel TJ, Adams WA. Does steroid medication reduce facial edema following face lift surgery? A prospective, randomized study of 30 consecutive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 1996;98:1–6.
- Van Dongen JA, Boxtel JV, Willemsen JC, Brouwer LA, Vermeulen KM, Tuin AJ, Harmsen MC, van der Lei B, Stevens HP. The Addition of Tissue Stromal Vascular Fraction to Platelet-Rich Plasma Supplemented Lipofilling Does Not Improve Facial Skin Quality: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial. Aesthet Surg J. 2021 Jul 14;41(8):NP1000-NP1013. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjab109. PMID: 33687052.
- Tepavcevic B, Radak D, Jovanovic M, Radak S, Tepavcevic DK. The Impact of Facial Lipofilling on Patient-Perceived Improvement in Facial Appearance and Quality of Life. Facial Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;32(3):296-303. doi: 10.1055/s-0036-1582233. Epub 2016 Jun 1. PMID: 27248028.
- Thomas MK, D'Silva JA, Borole AJ. Facial sculpting: Comprehensive approach for aesthetic correction of round face. Indian J Plast Surg. 2012 Jan;45(1):122-7. doi: 10.4103/0970-0358.96608. PMID: 22754167; PMCID: PMC3385376.
- Raffaini M, Pisani C. Orthognathic surgery with or without autologous fat micrograft injection: preliminary report on aesthetic outcomes and patient satisfaction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Mar;44(3):362-70. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2014.12.017. Epub 2015 Jan 20. PMID: 25617153.
- Cao Z, Li H, Wang ZH, Liang XQ. High-Density Fat Grafting Assisted Stromal Vascular Fraction Gel in Facial Deformities. J Craniofac Surg. 2022 Jan-Feb 01;33(1):108-111. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000008038. PMID: 34519702; PMCID: PMC8694257.
- Heller L, Menashe S, Plonski L, Ofek A, Pozner JN. 1470-nm Radial fiber-assisted liposuction for body contouring and facial fat grafting. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2022 Feb 2. doi: 10.1111/jocd.14767. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35106886.
- Pallua N, Wolter T. The lipo-facelift: merging the face-lift and liposculpture: eight years experience and a preliminary observational study. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2013 Dec;37(6):1107-13. doi: 10.1007/s00266-013-0218-x. Epub 2013 Oct 19. PMID: 24142113.
- Pacheco CMR, Ferreira PE, Saçaki CS, Tannous LA, Zotarelli-Filho IJ, Guarita-Souza LC, de Carvalho KAT. In vitro differentiation capacity of human breastmilk stem cells: A systematic review. World J Stem Cells. 2019 Nov 26;11(11):1005-1019. doi: 10.4252/wjsc.v11.i11.1005. PMID: 31768226; PMCID: PMC6851011.
- Coleman SR, Lam S, Cohen SR, Bohluli B, Nahai F. Fat Grafting: Challenges and Debates. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2018 Mar;26(1):81-84. doi: 10.1016/j.cxom.2017.10.006. PMID: 29362076.
- Foyatier JL, Mojallal A, Voulliaume D, Comparin JP. Evaluation de la restauration volumétrique par Lipostructure en complément du lifting cervicofacial. A propos de 100 cas [Clinical evaluation of structural fat tissue graft (Lipostructure) in volumetric facial restoration with face-lift. About 100 cases]. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2004 Oct;49(5):437-55. French. doi: 10.1016/j.anplas.2004.08.006. PMID: 15518944.
- Danilla S, Babaitis RA, Jara RP, Quispe DA, Andrades PR, Erazo CA, Albornoz CR, Sepulveda SL. High-Definition Liposculpture: What are the Complications and How to Manage Them? Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2020 Apr;44(2):411-418. doi: 10.1007/s00266-019-01475-6. Epub 2019 Aug 20. PMID: 31432229.
- Goodstein WA. Superficial liposculpture of the face and neck. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996 Nov;98(6):988-96; discussion 997-8. doi: 10.1097/00006534-199611000-00009. PMID: 8911468.